[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 44 KB, 497x420, qqqqqq.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
981320 No.981320 [Reply] [Original]

So I wanted to specialize in Maya but I see a lot of tutorials in blender and 3ds max too, I would like to learn blender and 3ds max too is it coherent using three modeling package?

>> No.981321

if you're just starting out it's not a good idea to try and learn multiple packages that do similar things.

what do you actually want to do?

>> No.981326

>>981321
3D modeler/generalist

>> No.981327

>>981320
i'd recommend blender or 3ds max, cuz modifiers make your life easier, maya isn't bad but without plugins, its modeling pipeline is destructive.

>> No.981328

>>981326
if you have industry ambitions
for film: maya
for aaa games: maya / max / some blender
for indie games: blender
for archviz: max / blender

this is assuming you actually want to be a modeller which is a very, very specific thing in some pipelines. most modelling skills are transferable b/w dcc's and it takes a couple of weeks to adapt.

if you want to be a generalist you need imo:
blender / maya
zbrush
substance painter
houdini (after 1.5/2 years of the others)
experience with at least 2 renderers ( so you can realise they're all pretty similar)

if you don't want to go into any industry, then just use blender instead of maya/max. unless you want to have a focus on animation and rigging, then go to maya.

max is kinda... i wouldn't recommend it to anyone except very hardcore hardsurface modellers and archviz dudes.

>> No.981342

>>981320
Would recommend you to try all, and see what software “clicks”. In my case, it was Max (for modelling) and Cinema (for VFX).

Regarding modelling: methods that you learn on YouTube are software-agnostic, and you can follow it on the software you like.