[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 827 KB, 2080x1000, 81fsv1zxpqL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7062345 No.7062345 [Reply] [Original]

What art style is this and why does it seem to be omnipresent in the vast majority of 2018+ shonen manga series?

>> No.7062347

>>7062345

It's called anime. You can Wikipedia it.

>> No.7062350

>>7062345
are you blind, negro?
those are very different artstyles

>> No.7062359

>>7062347
It's definitely not just basic "anime" since it would (ignorantly) encompass the entire medium as a whole.
There's a specific vibe I notice with the so called current "dark shonen" trend to the point that it feels like it's own specific movement by now.
>Scatchy, messy and generally unrefined art styles with weirdly blocky shape design sensibilities
>Characters are wearing minimalistic black suits, coats and uniforms in comparison to the colorful clothes or overdetailed costumes you see in standard older shonen titles
>Worldbuilding is just "our world but with demons" and it's usually very tokyo-centric
>Plot usually involves cursed beings, a specific OP character with abilities that put him on top power level-wise, revenge and corrupted organizations (Though you could say the same about some 2000s popular titles as well)

>> No.7062362

>>7062359
You just described like 90% of all manga

>> No.7062365

>>7062359
This is how it's always been. How many characters from the 00s can you recall that had the same spiky YGO/Eyeshield hairstyle?

>> No.7062372

>>7062365
Yu-Gi-Oh! (an originally game based then suddenly turned into a card game based series) and Eyeshield 21 (a manga about american football out of all things) are significantly more different than each other in terms of genre and subject matter than JJK and CSM are if we compare them to each other as well though. Meanwhile, you can't tell me Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk and Dai No Daibouken are part of the same genre outside of sharing some stylistic choices and shared art techniques.

>> No.7062377

>>7062372
I thought we were talking about art style, not the stories.

>> No.7062429

>>7062377
not op but I think he's talking about both. also most manga has similar styles because they're all learning from other manga artists and have a hierarchy system. The current style does seem to be influenced by one generic shit ancestor that I don't know the name of currently.
Chainsaw man, jjk and that other one all have different styles but similar ideas in clothing and hairstyles. The third one in that image has actually good art while the other two have pretty rough, shitty art.

>> No.7062499

Its just the new decade anime style trend like we had multiple times now
20 years from now people will be nostalgic for this slop like they have always been

>> No.7062805

>>7062345
It’s just what happens when you blend the art styles these artists would have learned from. Early Bleach and Naruto are obvious inspirations. Other thing is CSM and JJK artists are friends irl. Mutual influence is likely.

>> No.7062851

>>7062805
Anybody here think these guys may have pulled inspiration from Q Hayashida

>> No.7062860

>>7062345
its scribbles over 3d models disguising the fact they cant draw and they are tracing, but the retards eat it up.

>> No.7062879

>>7062860
Who cares, they got published, got animes, games, merch, etc etc.

>> No.7062883

>>7062851
I'm this anon >>7062429 and I think this might be the ancestor.
It makes perfect sense because dorohedoro finally got adapted and then these mangaka all get popular soon after with similar-ish styles.
You may have found the progenitor. Write your college thesis on this one.

>> No.7063208
File: 55 KB, 540x540, E1Y2-lsUYAIeraU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This will be very poorly explained, but you ever listened to a genre of music that has a core genre attached to it? dnb>breakcore, death metal>deathcore etc etc. these core genres resemble the original but remove all of the texture, build up and atmosphere and centre all of the music around the hardcore breakdowns. same thing has happened to anime (both artstyle and storytelling). basically the newer generations don't care for the pretense of setting up a story so that the action can happen, and instead just opt to jump straight into it, and they don't care if the character designs are boring as long as the action is kinetic and quick to happen, you can see the seeds of this taking root with young milennials/old zoomers growing up watching stick figure fighting video or stuff like madness combat.

>> No.7063255

>>7062345
I call this the visual clutter era

Its like the exact opposite Toriyama preached. Keep it simple, sharp, readable. Even his "successor" Toyotaro fails to understand this. The premise is a good artist knows s/he doesn't have to draw every single line and let the viewer's brain fill that.
>>7062359
Most of them is very city centric now indeed. It really feels like modern artist have a hateboner nature or something, and want to draw destroyed buildings. I get a feeling like they hate living in the city, and want to demolish it, but also cope with the fact they have to live there.
I think the main reason for the dulled out colors without warmness is the overall tone of millenials and zooms too, as they can identify with it easier.
If you have noticed shading changed a lot in anime too, as back then it was a lot more vibrant and eye-catching now its just one layered with almost no warmth added.
You can also notice modern protags have bad silhouettes and are quite indistinguishable from each other further emphasizing the "he's me frfr" mindset.

>> No.7063565

>>7062359
Japan has been in a recession for 30 years stuck at 5 trillion dollars not growing an inch, they are experiencing a demographic collapse and the few young people have given up on society.
Toriyama grew up during the great Japanese economic boom, back in the 70s and 80s the top ten billionaires were almost all Japanese. After the Soviet Union fell, the top ten was quickly occupied by Americans and Japan’s economy crashed down, never to recover.
Modern day Japanese Managaka have grown in an economic post apocalyptic world, artists speak for their times.
It’s dark shonen/doomer speak

>> No.7064762

>>7062345
I would call it sketchy/rough anime style

>> No.7065502

>>7063208
>basically the newer generations don't care for the pretense of setting up a story so that the action can happen, and instead just opt to jump straight into it.

I think you hit the nail straight on the head. I have consumed anime since the early 2000s and have noticed this patern. I sound like a boomer but it feels like a tik tok format, where instant dopamine and gratification is the norm.

>> No.7065545

>>7065502
>I think you hit the nail straight on the head.
Anon all 3 of the manga in the OP set their stories up before the action.
Besides, a series showcasing what it's about in the first chapter is neither "instant gratification" nor is it a new trend.

>>7063255
>Its like the exact opposite Toriyama preached.
When the fuck did Toriyama preach shit? He drew his style of manga, which was published right alongside fucking Fist of The North Star and Roku Blues, which were far from simple-looking in their own right. He wasn't getting up on a fucking soap box.

Anyway this "style" is barely even recognizable between those three very different series where the earliest is 5 or 6 years separated from the newest. You're ignoring that this "trend" is not at all represented in the many, many series that also debuted within that time, almost none of which even remotely resemble these 3 series, stylistically or in content. I can think of only one example that does, Sakamoto Days. You're essentially complaining that there are a handful of series that want an action movie feel and that get talked about in the same circles, not only like that's a bad thing but like it somehow represents the whole era. Ignorance is what I call it.

>> No.7065618

>>7062499
>20 years from now

who is to say anime as we know it will still be around

>> No.7065750 [DELETED] 

OP is either out of touch or literally too young and never ventured out of Shonen Jump titles. There's plenty of other popular shounen manga of complete varying styles, nevermind the fact that all three have varying styles anyway.

The fucking hilarity of trying to pin down this "dark shonen" trend is when you see people moving goalpost to goalpost, just to try and put these titles under one umbrella (muh minimalistic clothing, muh city-centric setting). Remember Jigokuraku aka Hell's Paradise? Remember how it was meant to be part of the "dark trio" with CSM and JJK? Nevermind how Jigokuraku had period Japanese clothes and a more colorful aesthetic with varying character silhouettes and a fucking nature setting? But somehow this is conveniently forgotten because it doesn't fit the narrative anymore. I remember when even CSM and JJK were being compared to Demon Slayer even though that had colorful characters and came out years before alongside My Hero Academia.

>>7065545
This anon gets it.

>> No.7065764

OP is either out of touch or literally too young and never ventured out of Shonen Jump titles. There's plenty of other popular shounen manga of complete varying styles, wherein Frieren alone is a testament against all this. Nevermind the fact that all three have varying styles anyway, where their colored art alone speaks volumes of the variety in their aesthetic choices (CSM being very Pop Art-inspired while JJK has heavy reliance on blacks accented with dark color hues).

The fucking hilarity of trying to pin down this "dark shonen" trend is when you see people moving goalpost to goalpost, vaguely linking one series to another, just to try and put these titles under one umbrella (muh minimalistic clothing, and now it's muh city-centric setting). Remember Jigokuraku aka Hell's Paradise? Remember how it was meant to be part of the "dark trio" with CSM and JJK? Nevermind how Jigokuraku had period Japanese clothes and a more colorful aesthetic with varying character silhouettes and a fucking nature setting. But somehow this is conveniently forgotten because it doesn't fit the narrative anymore. Back then CSM and JJK were even being compared to Demon Slayer with Demon Slayer starting a "supernatural trend" even though that had colorful characters and came out years before alongside My Hero Academia. What "trend"? You mean like Yu Yu Hakusho? Hell Teacher Nube?

>>7065545
This anon gets it.

>> No.7065829

>>7062359
Dark urban fantasy is the genre you described

>> No.7065831

>>7062359
I think Fuji and Gege must either be friends or rivals because JJK and chainsaw man rip each other off consistently.

>> No.7065836

>>7062345
Its called “I have to draw 20 pages of drawings every week so I better cut some corners” style

>> No.7065837

>>7065831
Anon they're literally friends.

>> No.7065838

>>7065837
Their manga are so similar it makes sense

>> No.7066584
File: 31 KB, 1024x840, 7c3909770b01fca2bdf6ccec9cc658614e4ed8dcr1-1025-841v2_hq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7065502
Another thing I noticed that might relate or not to this generational change is that fandoms are no longer based on actual love and long-term appreciation for the media in question, but instead based on what is currently popular in the moment and what gets them the most numbers on Twitter and Tik Tok.

When a new thing gets popular, the old thing is immediately dropped like a hot potato unless official content is constantly being churned out for it. Feeding the content machine and supplying the algorithm with the new FOTM is all fan content seems to account for anymore. Fandoms used to last for a long time even after they ended - tons of people would still talk about shows like Gurren Lagann, Ouran and Death Note on sites like Deviantart years after they ended. That kind of appreciation for no longer current things is growing smaller and smaller. It sucks.

>> No.7066594

>>7066584
That’s because back then you’d get only like 10 shows at 25 to 36 to even 50 episodes and everyone watched the same stuff. Now you have 35+ shows + more movies than ever.

>> No.7066596

>>7066594
every 4 months*

>> No.7066608

>>7066596
Actually as I mentioned this I went to go count the chart and it's 89+ shows aring right now (including continuing)

and If I go back to say...2009, 20 new shows and then about 40 continuing (largely childrens anime/shounen stuff)

>> No.7066621
File: 236 KB, 1280x720, Dark Trio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7062359
That's reflective of Japs that grew up on the lost decade and beyond, everything and everyone is gloom, edgy, cursed and if you think about it, the late 2010s and 2020s made everything worse.
There's also the fact that no Zillenial and Zoomer wants their manga and anime to be childish like American cartoons, they want blood, gore, sex, etc so modern battle shounen (which aimed at young people) reflects that preference.

>> No.7066632
File: 158 KB, 697x1000, 1679375824580247.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7062359
>current "dark shonen"
Dorohedoro came out over 20 years ago. This isn't some new trend.

>> No.7066639

>>7062883
lol. I like Dorohedoro. I can even see some of its visual similarities to Akita. Something about face shapes. Doro is hand drawn, though. You can Sven see the pencil underdrawings in printed versions

>> No.7066643

>>7066639
Akira*

>> No.7067627

>>7066632
Not a shounen manga.

>> No.7069642

>>7063208
>basically the newer generations don't care for the pretense of setting up a story so that the action can happen, and instead just opt to jump straight into it,
God, i hate how right you are

>> No.7069745

>>7069642
>>7065502
I think current jump is to blame for that
I remember seeing discourse on how the big 3 wouldn't survive these days because they take far longer to get to where the big stuff happens (iirc all of chainsaw man part 1 happened before Naruto's chuunin exams finished) and these new manga have to avoid the axe

>> No.7069752

i can see csm and jjk being compared cuz they both have that sketchy look going, but kagura looks nothing like them

>> No.7069928

>>7063255
Very well put. Also note that the same color correctional trends are happening in films as well and modern mangaka are all forced by their fag editors to study film nonstop which I think is stupid

>> No.7069979

>>7062345
It's called low effort slop for low iq retards style.