[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 65 KB, 215x264, 1500523269564.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17393006 No.17393006[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why are so many plebs into anime now? And before you tell me to go to /a/, they're exactly the kind of posers that I'm talking about. Real losers who only watch modern shit with excessive bloom filters. You know what I'm talking about.

So... what happened?

>> No.17393036

Anime suddenly became mainstream. Before, watching anime was a geek thing but now everyone's a self proclaimed "weeb".

>> No.17393065 [SPOILER] 
File: 349 KB, 999x1000, 1501311437932.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17393093

>>17393036
This.
It'll blow over.
Also, this isn't really a good thread, OP.

>> No.17393108

>>17393093
I'm sorry, but 4chan is basically a toilet now. You can thank /pol/ for that. There is no bar set anymore.

>> No.17393118

>>17393006
Are you gatekeeping freaking anime? It's just cartoons, let people enjoy and watch what they want.

>> No.17393140

>>17393093
>It'll blow over.
I'm not so sure about that. Geek (watered down, of course) culture has become mainstream, this isn't some sort of temporary fad.

Something that I've noticed is that people aren't even weirded out or disgusted by stuff like Kanna being made deliberately provocative, despite being depicted as a child.

>> No.17393152

>>17393118
The quality of something and the quantity of people interested in it are inversely proportional.

>> No.17393159

>>17393108
And, you know, it's not their politics, I actually agree with some general "/pol? policies," it's the attitude. The attitude intrinsic to political forums, the attitude of converting others to their mindset, bringing in people who don't belong here in the process.
>>17393140
It'll die off. Just be patient.

>> No.17393223

>>17393006
I still stick to my rozen maidens and haibane renmeis. Can't really understand how people enjoy gay shit like the berserk adaptation or love live etc.

>> No.17393247

There's a better thread discussing this topic elsewhere.

>> No.17393277

Focus on your hobby instead of other people.

>> No.17393445

>>17393006
Countercultures became mainstream at some point in the last decade. It started with "emo" kids and all that, until eventually the majority of people ironically ended up identifying with "not normal" and the various subcultures which were previously obscure became exposed and casualized to an audience of essentially normies who want to feel special for liking obscure things.

It's part of a larger kind of shift, which I imagine was caused by the extension of self consciousness marked by the internet, where people are becoming overly conscious of all their negative traits due to widespread exposure to online critics(such as yourself) who complain that this or that is no longer tolerable or good. Memes, the difference between good and bad, hot or not, in or out - all is expedited by people constantly trying to not fall under any negative category and find those good things that haven't been ruined or casualized yet. It's all a massive circus where people try to absolve themselves of negative connotations in their self image, and this spreads into politics too. /pol/ doesn't want to look like a cuck or whatever, and SJW equivalents don't want to look racist or mean. They draw off the negative connotations of each other to be contrarian towards them simply to fulfill an ideal self image, perhaps part of an underlying insecurity with their identity itself?

Everything sociologically fucked and you can't do anything by worrying and complaining about it. Just let people do what they want. While there's now a normie demographic, there will always be a non-normie niche for good content. You just have to find it.

>> No.17393461
File: 41 KB, 336x476, 1499067642367.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17393445
this is a good post

>> No.17393500
File: 77 KB, 506x329, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17393445
And just where the fuck might that be.
There isn't much left to go to that Normalfags won't flock to and call a meme.

>> No.17393528

>>17393500
You will know when you find it for yourself. Its different for everyone and not anything specific.

>> No.17393565

>>17393445
First, a counterculture that is assimilated into mainstream culture isn't counterculture any more, or at least the elements that become mainstream aren't. I'm not convinced anime does or ever did necessarily stands in opposition to mainstream culture. Watching anime doesn't violate our mores any more than eating sushi does. I see it as an element of another culture that is quickly diffusing into our own culture. Well, parts of it, anyway.

>> No.17393589

>>17393159
It'll die like everything eventually does, something else will be cool etc., but what will the damage be like when it finally does?

>> No.17393602

>>17393565
Anime ran counter to the mainstream because it was viewed as fantastical and childish and just plain weird. But now there is a resurgence in popularity for things that are fantastical and childish, and of course weird. Part of it has to do with nostalgia and also the pains of growing up in an era where most people don't know what being grown up is. Many millenials feel lost, unsure of the future, so they find solace in the past and all the feelings that it gave them. Anything to escape the dread of having to compete in a global economy.

>> No.17393614

>>17393006
Japan soft power expanding.
>>17393445
I don't think the internet is the main cause of this, but it did It helped to make the phrase "you are special" to be louder.

>> No.17393630

>>17393589
Well, we'll still be here, and normalfags will go back to publicly saying that anime is weird, instead of just thinking it. Remember: anime is made in Japan and for the Japanese, including normalfags over there. There won't be a lasting affect.
And don't let their bullshit fool you: they still think that anime is weird, and that we are weird. They're just being quiet about these Emperor's new clothes, because they don't want to look like they're not "down with" the "ironic anime meme."

>> No.17393640

>>17393277

>> No.17393678

>>17393093
>Also, this isn't really a good thread, OP.
Better than every single fucking general.

>> No.17393694

>>17393277
Your hobby only exists because of other people, you pathetic smug retard.
The fact that we are all here on a community website based around discussing hobbies just goes to show how fucking poorly thought out your little quip was.

>>17393445
>Countercultures became mainstream at some point in the last decade. It started with "emo" kids and all that
Fuck off child. Counter culture has been apart of mainstream culture for thousands of years.

>>17393461
Don't samefag.

>> No.17393736

>>17393589
The damage to anime as an art style? There won't be any. That's here to stay. To otaku culture? Anything that the mainstream decides to keep will no longer be otaku.

>>17393602
I think that's a more mild violation of mores than, for instance, not saying thank you after someone helps you. Also, people like stories. I don't think entertainment = escapism unless it impede your ability to live a balanced, responsible life. You can't attribute that reasoning to most people that like anime.

>>17393614
The internet is definitely the preponderant factor in humanity's growing discovery and understanding of each others' cultures. I liked an analogy someone made between this and exploration during the age of sail. With the world explored, people are now exploring each other. People couldn't easily learn about much of anything outside they couldn't immediately experience prior to the invention of mass media. Before the printing press, you were dependent upon hand written works or word of mouth. From the printing press to the internet the average person's horizon has expanded, and the internet is the most massive media, and the most intimate, of all.

>> No.17393745

>>17393006
Almost nobody is into anime. They're either pretending or are only fans of a couple of toonamicore anime.

>>17393118
>Are you gatekeeping freaking anime? It's just cartoons
This is what's wrong with "anime fans."

>>17393223
This is also what's wrong with "anime fans."

>> No.17393747

>>17393152
This. Sadly.

>> No.17393785

>>17393445
It's quite scary that all of this is happening subconsciously. We're all so malleable and don't realise it. I've tried to contemplate on this post ironic unironically ironic cultural shift but it's such a mess and I get confused because there are so many layers. And I wonder if this is even a new phenomenon. Probably not, though it is much more accelerated than ever because we're all connected by the internet. Either way it's fucked. Nobody is ever honest, everyone's too scared of ridicule so they hide behind irony. I've met people online who are genuinely incapable of meaningful conversation; they always find themselves slipping into irony, as a defence mechanism against, what, honesty?. Like you say, we've become so incredibly self-conscious. Speak to an old person, or someone disconnected from the internet and it becomes apparent and strange how unconscious they are compared to you.

And it's scary, because I was never aware of this change occurring. It's no different to brainwashing, or how states use propaganda, except there doesn't seem to be any central instigator. And what if there is? You'll never know, and that's the frightening beauty of brainwashing: you still think you're in control. I sometimes wonder that this might just be mass manipulation. It isn't so difficult to imagine; whole nations have been manipulated since the beginning of time, and you have people like Edward Bernays who've figured it all out. It's entirely possible.

>> No.17393820

>>17393006
Dunno man, some of my more normalfag friends are also suddenly into anime.
Still remember them calling me a faggot for liking ''cartoons for children''.
I'd say >>17393036 is mostly right, anime simply became mainstream, esp. things as AoT and Re:zero pushed it into the spotlight.

Oh, and twitch also helped quite a lot.
Every big streamer has at least a few anime characters as their sub. emotes.

>> No.17393931

>>17393528
In all honesty, i have no idea where the fuck I'm going. As long as I don't have to suffer anymore, I'm content. But same said about anyone else.
Anime is one thing that has been consistently present for me; the last thing i want is it being trampled upon like every other good thing found.

Everything is inevitable in some way shape or form, change as well. The best thing you can do is enjoy it for the time being, get a kick out of it, and watch it burn when others discover it. When and if it is left, one can only hope the aftermath of such occurrences doesn't render it something so abysmal, you can't stand acknowledging the fact that it exists.
It was only a matter of time until it ended up next on the chopping block. I'm not too surprised really.

"Get out! Explore the world around you!"
Sorry, no chance.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action