[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 69 KB, 295x400, 11070.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23971 No.23971 [Reply] [Original]

I honestly wish sometimes that I could be a hikikomori. If I could somehow ensure myself financial stability, I would never leave my house for anything. I would be a complete shut-in that communicated with the outside world solely through the internet and would while away the tedious hours with videogames, anime, and music.

This lifestyle honestly appeals to me.

>> No.24825
File: 92 KB, 500x500, 1203582298878.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>24806

Oh god I get the joke now.

>> No.24908
File: 262 KB, 768x432, 1203582578552.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23971

i do live this way, and it sucks. watch evangelion, understand it, and realize that shinji is battling with himself between a) "go outside, live life, meet people, accept love and pain," or b) "keep to myself and be a bored, depressed, faggot." believe it.

hikikomori = social problem. i strongly discourage it. i've lived as one in the usa for about 3 years since i can't find work, i'm developing all sorts of social anxiety, and my father makes enough to support me. the lifestyle is shit.

>> No.25033
File: 338 KB, 768x432, 1203583177379.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25020

agreed.

>> No.25107
File: 189 KB, 704x400, 1203583610277.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was a NEET for a year...but I did change more in that year than in the previous four years of high school.

All of my friends moved to college while I took a year "off".

I went eight months without even encountering a stranger, and contact with my family was limited to my parents. I was extremely anxious in public places.

It sucked. I would not recommend it unless you're going for a test of endurance.

>> No.25153
File: 74 KB, 640x480, 1203583934438.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>It sucked. I would not recommend it unless you're going for a test of endurance

that's what i'm getting at in the above posts. you have to realize about this lifestyle that, if it's authentic and not something you're pretending while at the same time going out to a bar with friends when you feel like it, will fill you with self-loathing, fear of other people, paranoia, etc. it will probably drive out a lot of the opinions and beliefs you once felt were important, and steadily erode any values you had. eventually, you won't feel much of anything besides a muted discontent, along with the aforementioned paranoia and fear of interaction.

i'm not passing judgment. i'm just saying that you should recognize that living this way feels like a disease, even if you have a very strong personality. it does NOT feel like some walden pond experience that you own. it feels like you're going crazy, and more than likely you actually are.

on the other hand, you can do all the silly, romanticized things that drive you to want to isolate yourself and still retain human contact and a job. lots of people do. you don't need to brutalize yourself to achieve peace and quiet, or watch a lot of anime.

>> No.25375
File: 405 KB, 768x432, 1203585385202.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25275

well, if it works for you there's no arguing with it.

for people looking to "try it and find out" though, i'd warn that you'll probably look right past a lot of the stuff that happens to you, and not realize until it's too late that you're developing weird anxieties and can no longer successfully integrate with the outside world even if you try to.

nothing in the world affects all people uniformly, except maybe things that are guaranteed to cause instant death. i'm just as certain that the warnings i'm giving won't apply to some people (even if they lived my exact circumstances) as i am certain that they *would* apply to many people, and surprise them greatly.

the problem is basically how aimlessness and isolation erode motivation. they also erode certain freedoms... after you spend a few years doing nothing but watch anime and go online, you have even more trouble making interesting conversation with people than you did before, and thus can't really establish many new connections with the world.

none of this is... "bad" i guess. i can definitely relate to a point of view that goes "well, if people aren't interested in the shit that i'm interested in, what the fuck do i care that i can't make contact with them?" even at the expense of one's own sanity and happiness.

i mean, don't get me wrong. i don't regret my lifestyle, and i wouldn't apologize for my 3 years of inactivity. i don't owe it to anyone to make friends or money. at the same time, i can see the effects it's having on me, and i don't particularly like them.

>> No.25389
File: 410 KB, 768x432, 1203585469548.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25375

to follow up and be a bit more tl;dr clear: i'm saying that shit you don't expect happens to you via isolation. it may not be for the worst, but don't think it will be like whatever you envision when you sit back and think "i'd love to get away from all this and just watch anime all day."

>> No.25454
File: 75 KB, 1100x564, 1203586019406.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is why /b/ sucks.

>> No.25466
File: 254 KB, 1024x4031, 1203586148959.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>24147
I think you missed the point

>> No.25535
File: 382 KB, 768x432, 1203586666474.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25460

not for about 4 or 5 years. the years between my somewhat serious relationship and my full-on hikko state were filled with drunken promiscuity, stimulating academic advancement, and other somewhat positive things.

this year i picked up a girl at a restaurant who commented on an anime t-shirt i was wearing, but that turned to shit. i'm trying to get out of this repetitive, "only melodramatic if you talk about it, but really just oppressively boring and fatiguing" period, and i'm sure i will within the year.

>> No.25542
File: 22 KB, 183x200, 1203586709348.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25516

>> No.25690
File: 21 KB, 250x282, 1203587804556.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25667

>> No.25777
File: 387 KB, 768x432, 1203588420703.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25733

from wikipedia:

1. Middle class affluence in a post-industrial society such as Japan allows parents to support and feed an adult child in the home indefinitely. Lower-income families do not have hikikomori children because a socially withdrawing youth is forced to work outside the home if he cannot finish school; for this reason, isolation in the room stops at an early stage.[6]
2. The inability of Japanese parents to recognize and act upon the youth's slide into isolation; soft parenting; or even a codependent collusion between mother and son, known as amae in Japanese. When a youth withdraws from life, parents can act or respond in such a way that causes the child to become even more secluded and isolated.[7]
3. A decade of flat economic indicators and a shaky job market in Japan makes the pre-existing system requiring years of competitive schooling for elite jobs seem like a pointless effort to many [8]. While Japanese fathers of the current generation of youth still enjoy lifetime employment at multinational corporations, incoming employees in Japan enjoy no such guarantees in today's job market [9] (See Freeters and NEET for more on this). Younger Japanese people are savvy enough to see that the system put in place for their grandfathers and fathers no longer works [10], and for some, the lack of a clear life goal makes them susceptible to social withdrawal as a hikikomori.

these plainly apply to many in the US, and probably a fair amount of people reading this sentence right now.

not the majority of course. we are all (with the exception of the self-sustaining shut-ins who have posted) overpriveleged faggots. any of us who do not accept that our problems are inextricably linked to our privelege are idiots.

>> No.25778
File: 19 KB, 481x386, 1203588425351.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So what does /jp/ think about the Nanking atrocities done in WWII by Japan? True? False?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YoW2WYdOsvg

>> No.25848
File: 307 KB, 640x480, 1203589068391.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25831
>>25794

wikifag here again. i can't emphasize enough how appropriate it is that a tangent about the decline of the american economy sprung up in this thread (more or less) about american hikko.

>> No.25887
File: 336 KB, 640x480, 1203589310403.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25865

lol i thought being a hikikomori would be fun, but its bad.

(and with that, good night /jp/)

>> No.26222
File: 26 KB, 480x381, 1203591732753.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was more or less a hikikomori for 4 odd years after highschool. I was supported by my parents. I still maintained "friends" but mostly because they kept coming over to my house uninvited because they were bored. I mostly watched anime, played videogames, and read the internet, only leaving my room when everyone was asleep for fear of having to deal with my family.

I'm 24 now and a freeter after being kicked out of my mother's house. I live with one of my former friends. (Though he's a loud, messy, shitty flatmate.) I do suffer with social anxiety problems that while I had them mildly while I was in school, they are now much worse. Yeah, it was a pretty boring depressing life. But I'm not any better off now. (How I do miss my mother's home-cooked meals.) I find difficulties getting and maintaining employment, I'm constantly depressed but not in an "an hero" way. I just can't find the motivation to do anything, even playing videogames seems boring to me. I don't have any friends, I don't consider my flatmate a friend. When he's home he stays at home and I stay in mine. Everything is just so boring. As "Desuchan" pic anon was sure to point out the Hikikomori life is hard and yet I still want to go back to that life; Of not having to go out and work or socialize. Sigh... money is so hard to come by.

/rant

>> No.26921
File: 10 KB, 365x175, 1203596136145.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Remember, dear friends.

>> No.26945
File: 34 KB, 600x450, 1203596315497.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>26921

Actually you know, this is one of the problems with casting off the shackles of a "Hikikiomori" as Westerners...

... the word is just so cute! And we have an adorable role model now. How can we change with such powerful influences?

>> No.28144
File: 61 KB, 759x729, 1203606004059.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hikkikomori here

I fund my lifestyle by running weeaboo websites and I get some money from the government

it pays the rent

Pic related (stats from one ad service I use. I use several)

>> No.23991

money allows a lot of things. it'd be nice to be born rich, but neither of us were.

>> No.24007

>>23992
Need money to buy stocks

>> No.23992

>>23971
stocks

>> No.24016

>>24007
bank

>> No.24062

I live it. 3 or 4 years so far.

>> No.24065

>>24062
Tell me your secrets?

>> No.24077

>>24065
Uh....don't go outside?

>> No.24089

>>24077
Right, but how do you afford not to?

>> No.24090

>>24016
Need to be a worthwhile human being for the bank to give you money.

>> No.24101

When the bank gives you money, you have to pay it back though.

>> No.24105

I do the whole "work hard six months, don't leave the apartment for six months" thing.

>> No.24109

>>24101
Fuck...

>> No.24114

>>24089
Never really questioned it.

>> No.24131

>>24114
But you have to pay for rent, food, electricity, and internet somehow, right?

>> No.24136

>>24131
Well....yeah, of course.

>> No.24147

You know the funny thing about money... I didn't really thin of it as very important aside from using it to buy necessities like food or clothing, but after watching Kaiji, I've been a little more preoccupied with it and how nice it would be to be rich enough to bet on people falling off of steel beams.

I think the only socializing I do is on the internet these days. I don't talk to anyone at school because I don't know anybody. Hell, the first time I talked to a friend in months was yesterday through AIM.

>> No.24149

>>24136
Where does that money come from? Do you work or does somebody support you?

>> No.24155

>>24136
Your parents give you allowance, don't they?

>> No.24167

One room apartment
One month of ramen noodles
Leech someone's wireless internet
Electric

How much would that cost per month? Could be doable.

>> No.24168

>>24149
Somewhere. I mean, it has to, right?

>> No.24181

>>24155
So your parents give you money and support you? That's kind of awesome.

>> No.24194

well personally I just graduated highschool and on my 18th birthday I got in a fight with my best friend and his twin brother. plus I dont have a job. and its cold outside and Im unmotivated enough to do shit.

Its hard now but thats cuz my xbox is getting repaired cuz it scratched up my dynasty warriors gundam. once it is back i will be happy doing nothing but hala and CoD4 for a long time.

>> No.24221

>>24155
Shit, when I was 14. I started working and supporting myself at 15.

>> No.24225

being an american hikkimori....

NO YOU FUCKING DONT

>> No.24234

>>24168
Unless your parents are rich as hell that's going to stop eventually.

>> No.24235

>>24225
It's called a recluse.

>> No.24253

>>24235
Don't say that word! It reminds me of the Brown Recluse Spider, and the few deaths around here because of them...

>> No.24256

Go to a country where prostitutes need to learn English. Get a cheap apartment with internet and never leave except to do periodic border runs to renew your tourist visa. They'll come to you, and you only need to give up an hour or two each night for lessons. Just resist the temptation to let them pay with services rather than cash.

Actually, if you save up some money and then go somewhere with a good exchange rate and cost of living you could probably skip the prostitutes bit (I'm thinking china, where one month of western pay is equivalent to six or ten months of chinese pay if you never go outside and only eat rice).

It's illegal, but nobody's going to report you if you never leave your apartment.

>> No.24261

I'm a sickly bastard that can barely do anything anymore. I just want to go back to school ;_;

>> No.24262

My roommate owns the apartment I live in. I once saw him leave the place only once every 2-3 weeks to buy food for 3 years. Since he needed no income (we supplied it I guess) he spent all his time playing video games and watching anime until he finally decided to go back to school.

Damn lucky bastard.

>> No.24264

>>24234
Yeah. I can finishing getting an education whenever I want, after that I'd get a job and support myself. But, for the past few years, I haven't felt like doing that yet, so I haven't. But honestly, like most hikikomori, I see my life ending in suicide, so all that other crap is useless.

>> No.24276

>>24264
finish*
Fuck I need to sleep.

>> No.24420

I'm angry at our economy for its constant inflation. Its make you constantly have to produce output and you get crappy one week breaks once a year.

>> No.24455

>>23971
I was one for almost two years. Nothing fun about it...

>> No.24490

It sounds like most of you are just lazy wannabe NEETs, not people who go nuts because of social pressures and withdraw completely.

>> No.24519

>>24420
You'd be less employable without inflation, since very few people are willing to accept a pay cut. Inflation helps pay rates shift down and guarantees that your pay will always be approaching the afforable level, which is factored into the decision to employ you. Also, interest offsets this, so as long as your savings are not being kept in a sock under your bed you're at least not losing money to inflation every year.

>> No.24551

>>24490
I'm going to be switching from a student to a NEET for a while on account of a sleeping problem. I'm going to need to find some work to help me get back into, and maintain, a regular sleeping pattern.

>> No.24607

>>24551

I had that problem for a while when I was unemployed, and I found that intense exercise and a healthy diet helped me get into a good routine. One of the nice things about having a couple of months full of 16 hour days is that you can get a LOT of shit accomplished.

>> No.24633

>>24194
Get your teenager emo angst shit out of /jp/

>> No.24664

>>24607
Wait, what is so abnormal about 16 hour days? Is it too short, too long? A 16 hour day with 8 hours of sleep is a full day, no?

>> No.24681

I don't see how you guys can do it. Willing, I mean.

Maybe you could I tried it, but the idea of reluctenly not supporting or accomplishing anything for myself bugged the hell out of me.

I went back to school and work part-time and life is a little easier. I still don't have steady relationships as I still avoid being personal, but I did open up and feel better for it.

>> No.24697

Honestly, I really feel the same way you do OP, but I know that theres a real world out there, and that even though its full of pain, it also holds the potential for great happiness. Thats what keeps me going through all the hardships.

>> No.24770

>>24664

I mean, 16 hours of waking time that are your own, as opposed to 8 hours of working with 30m-1h of commute on both ends. And, when you have a month off instead of just a weekend, you can get some shit done, whether it's travel or personal projects or whatever. I think that, eventually, the US and especially Japan are going to realize that never having vacations (sure, you can accrue vacation time, but good fucking luck taking a big chunk of time off) affects productivity, innovation, and in Japan's case, procreation.

>> No.24771

>>24697
Don't belong here.

>> No.24767

I'm a hikikomori but not really by choice.

Back when I was 16 my parents got the insane idea to move out into the middle of butt-fucking nowhere. The kind of place you see in horror movies. The only time I ever leave my house is on the monthly anime/video game pilgrimage.

And I still live with my fucking parents. I have a job typing papers for lazy college kids from the next county.

>> No.24798

I've thought of moving to Europe, I hear they get alot more vacation time than the US.

>> No.24801

>>24256
Or you could go to Scandinavia and live off social security which is pretty damn good in those countries.

>> No.24806

It gets old. Believe me. I'm currently a NEET working as hard as I can (of course, that's not very hard or I wouldn't have ended up here in the first place) to get back into college and continue my life. There ARE advantages to having nothing to do all day of course, but it gets boring and depressing very quickly.

>> No.24820

Being a hikki must have it's perks.

>> No.24836

I guess you could consider me Hikikomori...

I left Public School at Age 15, and got my diploma shortly after. It was a huge waste of my time, and I ended up getting in too much trouble as a teenager. ( I used to hang out with vandals. )

I'm turning 19 in less than a week, and I really haven't done much outside of Judo/BJJ/Muay Thai to stay in shape.

I guess you could say that I've been forced into this sort of life, as most of my friends have moved away to College... the only other people around my age are total fuck-wads, and I'm sure I'd end up in Jail if I hung out with them.

The thing is... I'm not anti-social, nor ugly by any means.

>> No.24852

Agree with the OP. I don't understand society at all, I can't play along with the written or unwritten rules and expectations and I am more or less completely unable to relate to and get along with people. I only enjoy myself when I'm alone with my computer and my headphones. I don't want to work, I don't want to get any more education and I don't want to socialize or participate in society in general. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything in return, you don't deserve a luxury life when you don't contribute to society. I would be willing to make my hikikomori existence as cheap as possible, living in the smallest and cheapest apartment possible, eating only the cheapest, lousiest food available, using a minimum amount of electricity, showering in lukewarm water etc. etc. I'd do my best to be as little of a burden to anyone as I could.

I touch no one and no one touches me. That would be bliss.

>> No.24903

I'm becoming an accountant. I'm hoping I can make enough money during tax season to become a hermit for the other 8 1/2 months of the year.

>> No.24906

>>24770
I already get pretty much that, and the only thing that seems to get done is learning memes and a better social mask. Admittedly, coming into it from working may be better.

>> No.24907

>>24806

You say this, but when I took a year out before I went to university I just stuck around doing NOTHING for the ENTIRE FUCKING YEAR. It's only when you are actively working that you look back on the bliss of doing fuck all and realise 'Doing absolutely nothing all day other than watch anime in the mornings, read some manga in the afternoons, watch a film in the evening then reading while in bed is FUCKING AWESOME!'

Especially when there is no one else around. I hate when I come back home from university and my parents are there, I mean, I love them and all, but I just enjoy being on my own.

>> No.24922

>>24798

Yeah, but the catch is that you have to migrate as a skilled worker, so you'll need a degree, a shitload of experience in a field where there's a shortage of EU workers, language knowledge, etc. I know that Germany and GB have a shortage of higher-level IT workers, and since I'm in that field, I'm considering floating over there if I ever get completely sick of Portland Anyway, the best bet is to work for a company that will transfer you overseas. Or to get lucky and know someone who can get you something. I stupidly stupidly stupidly turned down an offer from a girl I was dating to go to Rome straight out of college to work for her brother's business, because I had another offer for an insanely high-paying job that fell through, and it was too late to fuck off to Italy.

Okay I'm going to go break a fucking bottle over my head.

>> No.24953

>>24852

Get a piece of land and become a subsistence farmer. Course, if you want your mango and animu you are going to have to sell some of that produce. But farming = The most practical way to become a TRUE hikikomori. Of course you'd have to tend to crops etc... But you'd not have to speak to other people or anything.

>> No.24955

>>24907
Oh, I fully realize this. The same thing happened with longer vacations back in high school. But fact is that RIGHT NOW I want to get back to school. Grass is always greener etc.

>> No.24959

>>24767
How do you get in contact with people willing to pay you to do their homework? I could earn some serious extra cash that way. I'm good at homework.

>> No.24984

>>24953
I have seriously considered this.

>> No.25000

After high school I kind of cut all ties with friends and people due to some family shit that got me all emo. I pretty much isolated myself for about 2years doing the stuff you mentioned. Im a pretty solitude guy so at first it didnt really bother me but on the 3rd year it got really depressing but instead of doing a hero I actually went out, got help and now Im just about to finish a design diploma and entering Uni.

It may feel alright at first but even if you lock yourself away browsing the internet etc you'll probably have a slight urge to go out and do something etc etc and as days go by all this accumulate and suddenly you find yourself back into society. Well, thats what happened to me.

>> No.25003

>>24984

Same here. I'd fucking love to do it, of course I'd need start up capital to get some land. My dad has the money but would probably NEVER provide it for such a purpose though.

I mean, think about it, you are getting exercise, you're doing something productive (literally even), you are eaten home grown produce and healthy food and on top of that - YOU DONT HAVE TO SPEAK TO ANYONE FROM THE OUTSIDE WORLD!

Awesome eh?

>> No.25017

>>24955
>>24907

the nothingness you long for in college is only enjoyable if you have friends, and the freedom to leave your house. if you have no friends, no excess funds, and are crippled by anxiety/weird mental shit, it really sucks--even if you get to watch a lot of good anime.

>> No.25020

>>25000
25k GET anon is right

>> No.25039

>>25017

I have friends. Yeh I'm woeful with women like any other 4channer. But the truth is I dont even want to see friends a lot of the time. Just because asides from a handful of them, I feel so out of touch with their interests.

>> No.25064

I used to be a hikki living with my mother
She kicked me out, and I had to get a job
When I was on the job I was always thinking "I'm going to save up enough money and then live for like 1 year without ever going outside"

but the strange thing is, when I actually worked for a while it becomes weird to shut myself in the house all day... so i ended up not doing it even when i had the money

>> No.25067

This new board really works. I like it.

>> No.25084

>>25067
Meh, it's a bit lonely dont you think?

They should put up a /gf/ board for those of us with girlfriends, the TRUE 4channers.

>> No.25089

I used to live in the city, but then my parents moved pretty far away and I was dragged along with them. I lost most of my connections with friends, although we still talk on msn sometimes.

The only thing I really do now (other than standard otaku stuff) is go on walks by myself. It's not terribly depressing, but it's a little boring. Nothing really happens in Sooke, so it's pointless to try and go out and make things happen.

Hell, I'm even taking school online from home.

>> No.25103

>>25089
I used to go out and take walks on my own in my first year of university. It's relaxing.

>> No.25104

meh, im finishing up my second year of a 4 year university program and frankly, I cant wait to get my fucking degree so I can up and out to asia.

Ill probably end up teaching english or something, which is something that I dont mind.

As long as I make enough money to allow me to live on noodles/rice with an internet access, ill be happy.

Japan would be my first choice, but im not naive, korea, taiwan, thailand, china, etc are all acceptable to me.

that being said, eastern europe also looks appealing to me, Ill look into Russia and see how things are there.

>> No.25123

>>25064
I actually went through with it. Worked for about a year, made enough money to live off of, and then spent the next 9 months or so in almost total seclusion (barring stuff like bank trips, food runs, toiletries, etc).

I actually quite liked it. Got caught up on a lot of my reading.

>> No.25132

>>25000
Exactly what happened to me, except I dropped of college when I was 20, and then did the shut-in thing for 3 years. The rest is as you said: I eventually got sick of doing nothing, got help, and went back to school/work

>> No.25125

>>25107
>I went eight months without even encountering a stranger

What's wrong with that... You aren't one of those... clubbers are you?

>> No.25180

My chain is 24 years long.

>> No.25186

>>25103

Yeah, it's a pretty relaxing way to kill time.

Man, in a way this is like the ultimate ronery thread, but it's also some kind of anti-ronery thread.

>> No.25190

>>24953
no wonder that career test said that my ideal occupation was a farmer...

>> No.25200

>>25067

Me too.

>> No.25206

>>25084

.....wut?

>> No.25216

So, hikkis, was Welcome to the NHK a decent 'evaluation' of what it is like to be a true hikikomori?

>> No.25275

>>25153
Ive been living this lifestyle for nearly six years now and I find that anonymous interaction through the internet is all that I really need.

I don't have any real friends, I never go out, except to buy supplies and miscellaneous things. I order stuff online and have it delivered to my apartment.

I do have a job of sorts, it is necessary to have an income in order to support this lifestyle, but I set my own hours, and most of the time I work out of my apartment.

I spend very little on food and clothing, etc and as a result I have more than enough left over for my interests and hobbies.

The main thing is, I force myself to wake up in the morning, so as to avoid a situation where I end up sleeping away half the day. If you do that, depression could easily set in.

I take walks occasionally and read in the park, every once in a while I might spend some money and travel a bit to get out and see some sights, but Im always alone.

I like this, Im not crazy/depressed/etc and I can pretty much live how I please.

>> No.25282

>>25216
Most of us aren't Japanese.

>> No.25300

>>25216
No.

>> No.25325

>>25300
why?

>> No.25377

>>25275
>In case you were wondering about my job, I teach english privately.

Be careful not to get into any... ah... 'trouble' with your students dear anon.

>> No.25401

>>25377
what kind of trouble are you getting at exactly?

>> No.25415

>>25275
How do you feel about 4chan going to shit? I imagine it would be more precious to you than for me.

>> No.25432

>>25415
4chan has been going to shit since it started ;)

and besides, its not the only place on the net.

>> No.25439

>>25415

i'm not >>25275 but what's happened with /b/ was inevitable. it was created to destroy itself, and it's only natural that its inherent newfaggotry would spread across 4chan.

>> No.25452

1)Find a stay at home job, or at least a night or graveyard shift.
2)Rent a cheap apartment
3)Hikikomori

>> No.25460

>>25375
Hey anon, you don't have one of those... ah.... 'girlfriend' do you?

>> No.25464

>>25454
Its more likely than you think.

>> No.25487

>>23971
Just as long as you don't live in same room as the NHK guy. That Puru-Puru song would drive me nuts.

>> No.25516

>>25377

now you got me curious, what kind of trouble are you talking about?

>> No.25595

>>25542
lol, private students don't usually fall into that category.

>> No.25661

Anyone else find depression sort of enjoyable? I know that sounds emo... but honestly ENJOYABLE? I know some fuckers get off on pain, so I suppose it's possible to enjoy depression.

I'm not really a depressed person, but when it happens, I really enjoy it... in a weird way. The same goes for sad anime/movies/books/VNs ... I really love to cry sometimes. BAWWW

>> No.25667

>>25661
only girls and faggots cry.

faggot.

>> No.25684

>>24519
>Inflation helps pay rates shift down and guarantees that your pay will always be approaching the afforable level, which is factored into the decision to employ you. Also, interest offsets this, so as long as your savings are not being kept in a sock under your bed you're at least not losing money to inflation every year.

Whenever things increase in price but your pay remains flat, the difference is called declining standard of living.

And as far as inflation goes, the actual level (Actual pre-Boskin commission inflation, not this hedonically adjusted nonsense) is around 8-10% in most industrialized countries (See shadowstats.com for more info).

The money supply is inflating 14% a year. Since most people have zero idea how to not get their lunch eaten by inflation even if they had money to invest, they're just going to get the shaft.

>> No.25685

I have crippling depression. I don't cry, I don't seem able to no matter what, I wish I could sometimes because maybe it would help somehow, doubt it though.

>> No.25686

>>25661

I sort of know what you mean, there's something about that melancholic feeling that's kind of euphoric at times, but I wouldn't really say I honest to god ENJOY being depressed.

>> No.25709

>>25661

Depends how you express it.

I just tend to totally involve myself in books when I feel like that (which is nearly all the time). The escapism is awesome, especially something like LOTR.

>> No.25730

>>25661
>Anyone else find depression sort of enjoyable?

What happens if you're in a state of depression for a long enough period of time is that basically you get hooked on the neurochemicals that your body is producing during that time, despite them being negative.

Shit sux.

>> No.25733

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but here in America we're just agoraphobic.

>> No.25731

>>25684
I bow before your superior economics knowledge. I've only taken a 101 course, so I was expecting to get shot down.

I wasn't expecting that much inflation in the money supply, though. I assume it is offset somewhat by growth.

>> No.25745

>>25709

Mmm I express it with a sort of melancholy happiness. When I watched Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien for the first time... I had a good month long depression. Waiting for eps to be released didn't help... but I really related to the main character... though his name escapes me. I could google it, but that's not the point. The point is that... I really like the feeling sometimes.

>> No.25757

>>23971
Was hikki for a year. It sucked. I pretty much lost contact with my friends but I'm slowly getting them back.

>> No.25758

>>25745

in before KGNE haet

>> No.25768

>>25757

You don't have friends.

>> No.25790

>>25777

You made a leap of logic. Fill in the blanks between that list and that assumption and I'll accept that.

>> No.25794

>>25731

There's so much economic quackery going on in the official figures it would make your head spin.

For example, say you own your own house. The government recalculates your income as if you're actually renting from yourself and paying yourself rent! And then they factor that nonsense into GDP.

We're actually in a mild recession right now, but due to subjective quality improvements/hedonic adjustments, they make it look like the economy is actually growing 3%.

Here's the imputations table: http://www.econstats.com/nipa/NIPA7_7_12_.htm

The government assumes homeowners are paying theirselves 134.2 BILLION in rent.

If you look at line #145, you'll see an imputed figure of 349.9 billion. The government imputes the total value of "free checking accounts" to be worth nearly 350 billion. Personal income was thus boosted by this amount because the government doesn't think banks are charging enough for the privilege of living off of your float.

Alrighty, so what's the sum of these imputed distortions? Look on line 2 and you'll see that it's 1,746 billion. If we add in the hedonic distiortions of 2,215 billion, we conclude that the grand total of all distortions (TOAD) is 3,961 billion out of a total GDP of 11,734 billion.

>> No.25796

This thread sucks even by old night shift /a/ standard. What the fuck is wrong with you guys? I don't even rage to ronery threads.

>> No.25798

>>25778
misunderstood.

rape = hello in japan.

they were merely greeting the chinese warmly.

>> No.25806

This thread is really eye opening and heartwarming.

To the anon with the suiseiseki.jpg, really understand what you are getting at when you mention "unexpected things"

During my long periods of free time spent doing nothing but remaining inside, playing video games, reading, and surfing the internet, I begin to become anxious about things that I usually aren't, ever. It really startled me! Growing up I was never socially anxious. I felt fine to be in the middle of a crowd. Now, after long periods of isolation, I feel uncomfortable. I'm constantly judging every little aspect of how I act and how the people around me act. I begin to worry about adquecy and suddenly i'm a quiet little boy instead of the bright humorous social butterfly that I was years ago.

What the hell happened?

Is it possible that during the free time, I actually thought TOO much about everything?

>> No.25831

>>25794
Just look at the forex for a easy hint of America's declining dollar.

You're 1:1 with Canadian dollars now.

>> No.25833

>>25790

i'm just saying that shut-ins in the US act like kikko, are caused by the same things as kikko, and therefore are kikko. there's not really any non-trivial way i could be wrong in calling them kikko, if indeed their actions and causes are identical.

>> No.25837

>>25806
DO YOU KNOW HOW TO FUCKING QUOTE?

>> No.25839

>>25833
HIKI NOT KIKO

>> No.25842

>>25794
That's a worrying situation, despite being a Britfag. I doubt the situation is much different over here.

OTOH, this seems justification for the arguments I've put forth about America being in a mild recession relating to certain niche luxury goods being affected in a discongruously large manner.

>> No.25844

nope.

>> No.25865

I have a bad feeling I'll snap one day and be an hero, but nah... it's cool staying at home listening to music and watching animu rite?

>> No.25866

>>25839

i am tired, and don't don't know moonspeak ;_;

i think i was thinking of the soy sauce.

>> No.25869

>>25834
Oh god wtf
Forgive me, I'm posting this from my wii, and I didn't realize that I couldn't simply click the post number to get the reply command in the text field.
Sorry.
Anyway, back on topic.

>> No.25876

>>25866
Well fuck, read the fucking topic? Where the fuck did you come from anyway? /n/? This is not your refuge.

>> No.25898

>>25876

if you're not trolling, you're retarded.

OP, this is why you can't subsist on anonymous communication only, and also why we can't have nice things.

>> No.25903

>>25898
Well then riddle me this, why the fuck else would anyone refer to hikikomori as kiko?

>> No.25920

>>25903

maybe if they were tired, or had some kind of mind slip. if they were thinking more they'd do it to troll people who lose their shit over nothing such as yourself.

>> No.25938

>>25920
Or if they are a clueless faggot.

>> No.25954

ITT: Trolls get bashed for trolling a good, productive thread for no reason other then probable boredom or ignorance.

As pissy as that sounds, really we need more shit like this on 4chan.

>> No.25988

KIKOMAN

>> No.26028

Being a hikikomori is far from good.

At the age of 13, I always felt absolutely exhausted. As it turns out, I had a severe case of hypothyroid... Anyway.. This effected my ability to stay conscious at school and, during my senior year of highschool, it got so bad that I was sleeping 20 hours a day. Needless to say, missing 4/5ths of my classes didn't help my grades, and I've spent the last 3 years trying to not fall apart.

I'm currently on a waiting list for adult education... Once I get my degree, then I'll finally be able to go on with my life.

>> No.26044

>>25954

i agree. however, the flamethrower above is clearly retarded for thinking that my word substitution somehow invalidated the sound argument in which it was couched.

yes, i am trolling you, and yes, this good thread has been over for about 20 minutes.

>> No.26072

I've been an American hikikomori for almost a year now. I suffered from anxiety problems most of my life, and I most recently was diagnosed with agoraphobia. I live at home. I'm drawing SSI too ($420.00 a month). Life's ok, and you do get lonely at times, but it's manageable.

>> No.26589

>>24907
FUCKING TRUTH! I can perfectly relate to that.

Like the majority of ppl in this thread, I'm just a lazy wannabe NEET, but it's just impossible - I even have to work part-time while studying (I'm working from home fortunatly). Seriously how the fuck do you guys do it?

>> No.26974

>>26072
Agoraphobia is such an ironic condition.

You feel anxious about crowded public spaces and go into a panic attack, but that only make you stand out more and increases social embarrassment.

>> No.27279

I love this thread and I love /jp/. Thank you 4chan.

>> No.27960

bump

>> No.28112

>>26974

It is. Taking baby steps to get out more is fine, but having to drive 15 minutes to go to therapy for an hour or so is a bitch. I'm usually so wore out from being tense that I can't do anything for the rest of the day.

>> No.28155

ITT :(

>> No.28204

>>28144
Just curious, how many hits do you get?

>> No.28220

>>28204
Across the sites I host, about 160,000/day and rising. Mostly from one site.

>> No.28230

>>28220
brb, making weaboo website

>> No.28446

I order everything online. I've only gone to a store alone to buy something once or twice, I dislike standing in the line. I dislike having people around me, I dislike bearing the thought I'll meet people I don't want to ever meet ... I dislike social contact IRL. So much fake. So much irrelevant.

For now I'm still getting supported by my parents, but those funds will stop soon. I need to find work. I never worked in my entire life, I still have too much pride that prevents me from working a store. I'm a worthless as student. I do nothing for whole days.

>> No.28477

>>28446

LIFE IS WONDERFULULZ

>> No.28481

This thread is sad.

All you people are too chicken to do anything...so pathetic...

>> No.28483

>>28446
>I dislike social contact IRL. So much fake. So much irrelevant.

What exactly is fake and irrelevant about social contact?

>> No.28498

>>28483
not that guy, but, people are fake in general. everyone lies and smiles.

>> No.28509

>>28483
>I dislike social contact IRL. So much fake. So much irrelevant.

I love these kinds of people, they get pissed and ronery when the cute girl they spy across the street doesn't come over and say "I WANT TO FUCK YOU", so they assume any other form of contact is completely meaningless and lock themselves up.

>> No.28683

i have been an hiki for my 6th year now, i hate it but its like a bad habit i just cant break out of. after reading this thread i noticed many have found "help" i was wondering how and where do i find help for me?

i dont know the true defination of been a hiki ( though 6 year im definately am one >.> ) but when i go out or hang out with ppl, i dont suffer from anxiety. infact most ppl dont know im a hikki at all. but i know im wasting my life away, and im getting old... so i want to put an end to it :/

>> No.28699

Without people to be around, the life of even the most withdrawn hikki will lose all meaning. Any man's life becomes meaningless when it is fully separated from society, even a that of a hikki. It becomes the life of a vegetable, since all that is left of such a life is the fulfillment of basic needs, and progressing degradation. Only self-deluded teenagers believe that it is possible to perfect yourself on your own. Anything we do in life that can be described as "development" or "progress" we do for the sake of getting ahead in society, often not even admitting this real reason for ourselves. One can sustain onself for a long time on satisfying your desire for knowlege, hunger, lust (fappan) one's esthetic desire, but in the end it becomes meaningless, like the way life loses its meaning for a shipwreck on a deserted island. A man remains a man as long as he is able to fulfill his needs in a social context, as long as there is a society to "progress" in he does not degrade. Grindi your character in some mmorpg, learn to play the guitar so you can put clips on youtube, drawfag some fanart, learn to sew, or just stupidly sitt watching anime, while pouring out your enriched inner world onto some imgboard - otherwise you will grow filthy and turn into an unwashed , drooling and semen-encrusted retard. That stage is already a subhuman level of conciousness so I'll not discuss it. Basically, any type of hikkikomori that can realistically exist - is a human being that is still social, but contacting his social sphere through a system of secret windows and doors, hidden behind dozens of masks. He's like a junkie that needs his fix but doesn't want it. He needs society, without a role of some kind, without status within it he will not be able to exist as a person, but he dreads and fears it, and is thus unable to accept it. This is all my IMHO, btw. Discuss.

>> No.28703

This thread is still here? Wow. It's almost like.....old /a/.

>> No.28729

this thread is fucking fail

>> No.28726

>>28699
I think I just like Japanese shit.

>> No.28970

>>28483
oh hi nice weather
yes nice weather
good clothes, where did you buy them
i bought them at xxxx
wow i like xxxx
so do i
wow
This is how 95% of social contact plays out, and is 100% fake.

>> No.28985

nice work moot, finally we have a sacrifice zone for this kind of bullshit.

>> No.29020

>>28970

You should probably pick up trivial conversation methods to getting what you want out of people. It kinda makes things much more interesting than mere vacuous dialogue.

>> No.29022

I lied about sex abuse at a church and now am living comfortably as a hikki

>> No.29038

>>28985
Stop bawwwwing, /a/ loyalist.

>> No.29042

>>29020
trivial conversation methods=vacuous dialogue

>> No.29062

>>28446
>I dislike standing in the line. I dislike having people around me, I dislike bearing the thought I'll meet people I don't want to ever meet ... I dislike social contact IRL. So much fake. So much irrelevant.

This is basically my stance on society in general. Meaningful relationships can't really be formed outside the realms of close family. Past that boundary it is merely a superficial exchange of words with no real meaning other than the flawed desire to establish 'friendship'. While people can have friends, they are not fundamental parts of peoples' lives in nearly all cases. True, humans do find partners which they love truly and have children with, but conversely much love is false -- you may even say most love is -- with the burden of society looming over every single person, drilling the perpetual obligation to find a 'girlfriend' and procreate. This surreal motivation thus leads to flawed relationships. It is not strictly limited to partners either; the ideal is that true human beings must have friends to function correctly in society.

(field too long -- continued)

>> No.29076

>>29062

(continued --)

With this in mind, I look at how animals interact socially. They seek partners, sometimes more desperately than us humans, but merely for reproductive purposes. That is, they do not have a social rope tied to them where they must hence stay together and express this (for animals, impossible) feeling of 'love' towards each other. Although it is difficult to comprehend, partly due to the difficulty I am having explaining this in general; one can clearly see a difference in motivation. To directly clarify: humans are driven by mutated social concepts -- animals are motivated by the concept of survival and sustainability. By this, you can clearly see that, while humans are clearly a superior species in most aspects, they are a flawed -- nay -- inept species; socially. To not have the drive to live a sustainable life of benefit, but to adhere to mutated social complexities that have been brought on by the ever-lasting, merciless force of time -- is that an acceptable way to live? By this logic, humans are clearly inferior in their acceptance of such poisonous, abundant pressure of society brought on by other humans. Does that not suggest instability? Does that not suggest that humans will ultimately fall, unlike the dinosaurs: on their own accord? I see this as the fundamental flaw in society, where 'love' is false and is merely established by intoxication of incorrect morals, as the ultimate demise of humanity as we know it.

(field too long -- continued again)

>> No.29084

>>29076

But with this in mind, one should not say that friends should not exist, and by having friends you are bad. However, as with most people, they have revolved their entire social existence around integrating with this -- having friends, partners -- rather than the fundamental of all life: sustainability and survival.

This is why I believe that most, if not all relationships early on, are false incarnations with no true essence. It is possible, but for such love and compassion, it must transcend the realms of society, just as does the love for one's close family members.

>> No.29087

tl;dr

>> No.29106

>>29062
All I read is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

>> No.29130

>>29084
Seriously, you write these long dissertations and think you have some kind of inarguable ideals and how you're so much smarter and aware than everyone else around you, and yet you're the one that's miserable and locked up in your room while the rest of us enjoy our "meaningless friendships". Guess the joke's on you!

>> No.29148

>>29130
Studies show that the smarter a person is, the more unhappy they are. Ignorance truly is bliss.

>> No.29166

>>29062
>>29076
>>29084

Survivability and survival is tightly linked around forming bonds with other people and maintaining them, i.e. frienships. Don't project your inability to trust people beyond your immediate family onto some sort of pseudobiological imperative, when you yourself know it's simple fear. You're broken and inferior. Enjoy your dying alone.

>> No.29175

>>29084
Humans used social interaction as a means of survival, just like wolves do now. This means the innate desire for social interaction (and thus, survival) is still present in modern humans but is no longer practical. People who analyze things habitually (nerds etc) realize this, and seek to make their lives more logical. They may also do this with things like sex, which has likewise outgrown its usefulness. Other people don't analyze this as deeply and simply enjoy the meaningless satisfaction they gain from social interaction. Hikikomori etc cannot stand meaningless, and so reject social interaction.
tl;dr Hikikomori think social interaction is stupid

>> No.29177

>>29148
So I'm "ignorant" because I have friends and romantic relationships? I guess your logic truly is beyond my grasp.

>> No.29205

>>29177
It must be if you misinterpreted what I said that badly.

>> No.29224

>>29130
No, he's the one bettering himself or creating things in a truly human manner. He's the one thinking, imagining, sculpting. You're the one spending your life trading platitudes with other shallow fools.

>> No.29246

>>29205
Not really, you (or some other anon) implied fairly clearly that the "smart" people realized social interaction was "meaningless" and the "happy" people were by inference ignorant.

>> No.29261

>>29166
People have and always will be alone. That's what it means to be human. Even if they're standing right next to each other, two people can't connect. They're too busy trying to appeal to the other person. Everyone dies alone, only some people accept it.

>> No.29271

The ending to this manga was fucking disappointing as hell, why didn't they get crushed in the house

>> No.29293

>>29246
No. Smart people are unhappy because they don't turn away from the truth. Realizing relationships is meaningless is only part of that.

>> No.29303

>>29166
Humanity's power comes in this social form, but as said, surely it will collapse on itself if people see the connections established as life's meaning rather than the establishment of those connections to survive as it. Trust itself brings this instability on. Because humans rely on each other (not that it is always bad to), sometimes the first thought is 'can I trust this person?' In close family you would rarely see this, similarly with strong friendships or love. However, in normal society, where humans depend on each other while only being able to fully trust with a fully established friendship -- is that not flawed in some way?

I'm not by any means an expert, but it seems somewhat imperative to notice this ultimate floor in society. Humans can surely function differently, but society has become the de-facto standard for most humans regarding existence, even though it appears flawed.

I say 'appears' so as not to suggest that I think I am completely right, since I'm no expert. People may have better ideas of society while I may merely be incredibly pessimistic. Rather though, consider what I say rather than my lack of expertise and disagree with that rather than with me.

>> No.29312

>>29261
What if part of what you are IS giving one's self to another? Like what marriages are theoretically(like hell it's practical) supposed to be?

>> No.29342

>>29312
Marriage is a lie and serves no purpose. Plenty of people have lived full lives without it.

>> No.29346

I fucking love you /jp/

>> No.29459

>>29303
But some people have some skill or connection that is not available from any other person. Thus, you are forced to trust this person even if you are not particularly well acquainted with them.

>> No.29690

>>but in the end it becomes meaningless
>>Anything we do in life that can be described as "development" or "progress" we do for the sake of getting ahead in society
Face it, that's just as "meaningless" as staying in moms basement all day fapping to the newest anime.
I mean there's nothing inherently wrong with living a solitary life doing as you please as long as you don't feel all guilty or whatever about it. I know I don't and I'm happy to be able to live my life without working (in the job sense) or having to "stay ahead of society".

>> No.29690,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>24490
this

also this: https://8ch.net/hikki/index.html

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action