[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.25 MB, 1601x750, dont even fucking try.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
45385722 No.45385722 [Reply] [Original]

Calling out to some people who have the best online resources/methods to actually learn kanji beyond "lol do your reps".

I'm trying to learn kanji didactically like I did hiragana/katakana, but the symbols are just so nuanced that I keep mixing up graphemes.
I learnt most of my current vocab through Duolingo (which was a bit of a mistake in some ways looking back on it, it was pretty good for speaking and listening, but terrible for reading and writing). I just want a program that has the best pure kanji focus, so I can supplement it with my own practice.

>> No.45386067

>>45385722
>I learnt most of my current vocab through Duolingo
AHAHAHAHA

>> No.45386122

>>45385722
just download an anki deck for kanji, I'm not a fan of learning thousands of words through anki decks without actual immersion but anki is very good for kanji
looking at the different types of kanji might help you memorize them so read the wikipedia page before learning kanji
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Types_of_kanji_by_category

>> No.45386147

>>45385722
>I'm trying to learn kanji didactically like I did hiragana/katakana
So you're saying you have autism? If you want some kind of system to your kanji you can learn radicals first, sometimes knowing meanings of radicals can point you in the right direction when you're stuck remembering the meaning of kanji, I doubt this metod will improve your fluency though and to be honest for me most of kanji just look like nonsensical sets of unrelated radicals most of the time, or rather it takes so much time time to figure out the relationship between them my brain decides it's not worth even bothering. Take my word with a grain of salt as I'm an eternal dekinai-kun who never went past being able to read text on hentai drawings.

>> No.45386231

>>45386147
>most of kanji just look like nonsensical sets of unrelated radicals most of the time
Most kanji are just composed of a radical for the meaning and a component (not a radical) for the on'yomi
For example 剣just look like nonsensical sets of unrelated radicals most of the time
Most kanji are just composed of a radical for the meaning and a component (not a radical) for the on'yomi
For example 寺 means temple and its on'yomi is ジ and for almost every character with that component its reading will be ジ like 時 with the sun radical, 持 with the hand radical or 侍 with the person radical. There's obviously some exceptions like 待 which on'yomi is タイ but it's very uncommon so most of the time you can guess the reading and sometimes even the meaning and that will also help you memorize them.

>> No.45386307

>>45386147
>>45386231
See this is helpful, I’m really looking for a place that can help me learn these sorts of rules properly. Even if they don’t work all of the time, and it definitely won’t work for a lot of combinations, having a general guideline will help me get the backbone so I can then focus on the edge cases
>>45386122
I’ll definitely look into that, thank you. I learn a lot better through brute force, so a way to organise these sorts of things would be much appreciated
>>45386067
Eat shit. I know it’s crap but it was my first step.

>> No.45387294

I'm not sure about online, but I used Heisig's 'Remembering the Kanji' it used this 'story-based' system relating the components to each other, but honestly it's almost an extra thing to remember in a lot of cases and I mostly used it for the structured way it introduces new characters based on newly introduced individual components.
>learn kanji beyond "lol do your reps".
This is ultimately what it comes down to though, it's going to take a long ass time to know enough to become actually literate, kanji is not just about memorizing meanings, but also often memorizing multiple pronunciations, being able to write them yourself etc. I recommend you stop worrying about the most 'efficient' way of doing things and just start grinding because it's going to be a very very long road regardless. Even after finishing that book which introduced all the jouyou kanji and a few more common ones, I was still running into tons of unfamiliar characters, so just grind buddy, no way of getting around it.

My final tip is to just read a lot as well, this is where you truly reinforce what you've learned ultimately.

>> No.45387376

>>45385722
Memorize the radicals first. Not their names, but their meaning. Knowing the components of a character and making a relation between them and the character's meaning in your head helps tremendously to remember it.
I'd also recommend learning kanji by increasing stroke count rather than by usage level or however they're normally sorted. That way you know when a character has a kanji with less strokes as a component and use that as well.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action