[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 362 KB, 850x562, 7dee6b1415cd0da79e933658e2ecb479.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9132280 No.9132280 [Reply] [Original]

How do you exactly feel when you are depressed?

I'm always feeling down, with no motivation to do anything but I doubt that's depression.

>> No.9132283
File: 47 KB, 500x581, 66ADouchebag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

sounds like depression to me

>> No.9132284
File: 102 KB, 600x600, diagnosis autism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9132285

my sex drive dies

>> No.9132294

Empty
Exhausted
Unable to enjoy anything
Everything seems like a huge effort

>> No.9132332
File: 32 KB, 402x306, Downer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Exhaustion, apathy, sadness for no reason, self-loathing / self-destruction, hopelessness, suicidal ideation [fantasizing about your death].

Meds really can help if you actually have a chemical imbalance, though there is a ridiculous amount of stigma about their efficacy. In the event therapy doesn't work, it often takes five-six different mixes of drugs before you have balanced brain-chemistry.

Here is a pretty accurate summary of how it goes down.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

>> No.9132352
File: 234 KB, 1357x1230, 1335495809780.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I see that you read the guide.

>> No.9132363

>>9132332
Chemical imbalance is the worst depression, as there's nothing you can do but wait for medication and hope it's the right one for you.

>> No.9132401

Slight anger
Slight disgusted feeling
Sadness is rare case

Convince myself to distract this emotion

ended up playing games in multiplayer to stomp noobs for 4 or more hours. Everytime i get killstreak and own'd a ppl, i gave them harsh words so they pathetically know that they are useless for their team.

>> No.9132492

I end up doing absolutely nothing

>> No.9132493

>>9132363
Yeah no kidding, internal agony and confusion. You can't escape it yourself either, it requires outside help to reach a point of beginning to heal, and eventually reach stability.

Concerned friends and family will with good intentions attempt to fix your depression with logic about how "it's not so bad". Their statements just feel like lies to make you feel better.

It's not just pure happy-pills though, therapy needs to complement it. You'll never escape it, depression will always be there to step in whenever you allow it to. Being able to recognize when it's starting and how to act to mitigate it are important.

Preventative care is almost as important as meds. If you eat only Top Ramen twice a day, lock yourself inside, never see sunlight, don't move around, don't interact with someone you can trust, you'll fall apart way more often.

Hope you feel better OP. If you're in adolescence, it can be a really vicious and cruel roller-coaster of ups and downs. Eventually things get better.

>> No.9132489
File: 330 KB, 800x680, mado pills.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9132363
I wonder if I have chemical imbalance. All these years I've been wondering what's been wrong with me, if there has been. I've never been diagnosed with anything. Just grew up and went through really fucked up situations, like foster homes, moving town to town, never having friends, living with only my mom, then my dad later in life. 21 now. My half-brother and half-sister apparantly have it according to their grandma (not mine) and idk if she's bs'ing me when she told me they have it, or if it came from my side of the family.

Idk what it is, I never seem to get lasting satisfaction from anything. I always want more--it doesn't seem abnormal, really, just a few things that are different.

(gonna make another post, system considers this spam)

1/2

>> No.9132564

>>9132493
>Concerned friends and family will with good intentions attempt to fix your depression with logic about how "it's not so bad". Their statements just feel like lies to make you feel better.
This is one of the more irritating parts. They don't seem to be able to understand that depression isn't just moping about some sad thing in your life, or some kind of bullshit "inner demons" that need to be overcome, like some shitty movie.
>Being able to recognize when it's starting and how to act to mitigate it are important.
As I wait for medication, my whole day, every day, revolves around this. I have to be constantly alert to what I'm feeling and try to distract myself however I can. Which is a task made increasingly difficult when you're very rarely able to enjoy anything at all.

>> No.9132573

>>9132492
including skipping meals.

good grief, I'm going to eat now.

>> No.9132586

I don't know if I've ever been depressed or maybe I'm always in a state of mild depression so I don't know anything else. I don't take any medication.

>> No.9132585

I drink and then I feel more depressed the next day.

Tell me something to make me stop.

>> No.9132609

>>9132363

You're not serous are you? My doctor said I may have this and gave me meds but I threw them away!

>> No.9132602

>>9132585
Me too. The only way out is suicide.

>> No.9132612

I start being very quiet.

I do nothing.

I sit around.

I feel empty.

People ask me if I'm depressed.

I say I'm fine.

Then I'm not depressed as much. Sometimes.

>> No.9132618

>>9132609
I hope you're joking. No amount of reasoning or self-encouragement will fix a chemical issue on it's own.

>> No.9132636

>>9132618
Placebo effect can prevent strong medicine and drugs for having any significant effect.

Which means it can also emulate those strong medicine's effect.

Mastering that is what all meditation bullshite is about, and it friggin works, nerdlord.

>> No.9132641

>>9132636
>and it friggin works

>> No.9132676

>>9132564
With anti-depressants, you usually can't take a full dose immediately, since a lot of SSRIs and MAOIs increase the seizure threshold. So doctors usually do what is called "ramping", meaning slowly increasing the dose over a two week period to full. What sucks, is if you have some awful side-effect or it doesn't work, it takes another two weeks to ramp down before you can try something else. Usually it takes more than one drug in combination, often an anti-psychotic (mood-stabilizer), and an anti-depressant.

The first drugs a lot of patients get, aren't very good, but are reliable for proving if there is something chemically wrong, like Prozac for depression and Lithium for bipolar. Eventually your doctor will hone in on what works best for you. Also, be extremely honest with your doctor. Any good doc will take your requests into a treatment plan, e.g. "This drug makes me feel like a zombie with no emotions, I want something else" is better than, "I feel fine I guess."

The biggest pieces of advice I have if you're going through depression, is a) Look into finding therapy of some kind, meds/counseling. b) Don't let yourself be alone for long periods of time c) Get a healthy amount of sleep.

If your'e isolated a lot while experiencing severe depression, your own mind can completely consume you with sadness an self-hatred.

>>9132618
>>9132636
You're both right. Placebo has the power to heal you for no reason or to limit the effectiveness of drugs. For the vast majority of people though, meds are a good starting point.

>> No.9132704

>>9132676
I've already been on two anti-depressants which required ramping up and down (escitalopram and nortriptyline). Both were only perscribed by my GP though (I was desperate) and in a few days a proper mental health doctor will be giving me something which is pretty much the crutch carrying me through all of this.

Getting plenty of sleep, because at least I'm still happy in my dreams. More time asleep means less time I have to spend occupying myself. I can't nap, though.

>your own mind can completely consume you with sadness an self-hatred.
Oddly enough, I've never felt sadness through this entire thing, and I've never felt self-hatred past the age of 12.

>> No.9132709

I start thinking about killing myself and then I remember that I haven't taken my meds, usually.

Sometimes it can't be helped.

Well, it can kinda be helped. I take a lot of caffeine and herbal stims and those give me energy and usually boost my mood enough to throw myself into something autistic like Touhou or organizing my music files. If it's distracting enough I forget that I'm depressed and it gradually subsides.

If I'm not on my meds, though, I instantly want to kill myself and start thinking about ways to do it.

>> No.9132722

>>9132564
Pick up grand strategy, or reading, or any VNs that are story heavy.

Basically anything that you can focus on and tune out the outside world, and help distract you from your inner shitstorm will be great. Eventually this will become a hobby of yours, and you can be happier. Just don't wallow in your own shit depression 24/7, that's what >>>/r9k/ is for.

>> No.9132726

Let's positive thinking !

>> No.9132738

>>9132722
I already have video games, anime/manga and VNs. It's far more difficult to enjoy them like this though, and I don't enjoy anything else. I'm not wallowing, I'm just killing time. I like to have several threads up to post in when I'm able to.

>>9132726
EPP localization when?

>> No.9132745

I feel fatigued and bored, so I just put on some music and kick back for the whole night.

...Or if I've been thrown into depression by someone getting angry at me (rarely) I'll remember that I'm a selfish, very forgetful and creepy NEET who has no special talents at all (everything I've tried I've always been average/bad at, never good) that can't even catch a bus because he's too afraid of people and relies on meds to pull him through the long days. Seriously, my existence is to be a burden on society but I always realize I fucking love the way I live by the next morning, taking it easy, forever.

>> No.9132763
File: 74 KB, 600x600, oh god here comes the puke again.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I considered myself ``cured" of my depression and anxiety, to the extent that I got a job interview where they flew me halfway across the country. Now I'm in my hotel room the night before the event relapsing like a motherfucker. I am trying to think of a way to sneak out of all of this, but like I said, I am halfway across the country.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action