[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 97 KB, 1000x799, 427054F6-89DA-4129-9764-AF9C0ED66172.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15780811 No.15780811 [Reply] [Original]

my brother who's in a third world mental asylum is asking for books to read while there, would it be wise to give him crime & punishment?

other books I have include:
catcher in the rye
kafka on the shore
blood meridian (havent read)
100 years of solitude (havent read)
lord of the flies (unread)
thinking fast and slow (unread)
he never read a novel before so I'm unsure what to give

he's either bipolar or schizoaffective and has been sent there after a psychosis ep

>> No.15780829

As a someone who has been to mental institution three times for long periods (I have been medication free for 3 years now and last time I was in mental institution was in 2017)

Do not give him any "stimulating" literature. The neuroleptic medication they give you also pretty hard time to concentrate on "classics" or something like that.

Give him like science magazines or something with neutral themes. (Not some fucking paranormal astrology magazines), but like science journals or auto repair journals. Something practical. If you want to make him a productive member of society again.

All those books you listed are shit.

>> No.15780830

>>15780811
Nice blogpost faggot

>> No.15780935

>>15780811
Thinking fast and slow is alright, read it in a mental insitution myself, a good primer to modern psychological research. If it's a third world country then he's probably going to have a better experience than this >>15780829 anon, so as long as by third world you don't mean america or britain, you can give him whatever.