[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 474x528, neetcheefedora.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17393596 No.17393596 [Reply] [Original]

>"God", "immortality of the soul", "redemption", "beyond" -- Without exception, concepts to which I have never devoted any attention, or time; not even as a child. Perhaps I have never been childlike enough for them?
>I do not by any means know atheism as a result; even less as an event: It is a matter of course with me, from instinct. I am too inquisitive, too questionable, too exuberant to stand for any gross answer. God is a gross answer, an indelicacy against us thinkers - at bottom merely a gross prohibition for us: you shall not think!

What did he mean by this?

>> No.17393619

>>17393596
Kekeke no way it's real

>> No.17393640

>>17393619
Oh it's real. Gets better too.

>I am much more interested in another question,—a question upon which the "salvation of humanity" depends to a far greater degree than it does upon any piece of theological curiosity: I refer to nutrition. "How precisely must thou feed thyself in order to attain to thy maximum of power— virtue free from moralic acid?"

>My experiences in regard to this matter have been as bad as they possibly could be; I am surprised that I set myself this question so late in life, and that it took me so long to draw "rational" conclusions from my experiences.

>Only the absolute worthlessness of German culture—its "idealism"—can to some extent explain how it was that precisely in this matter I was so backward that my ignorance was almost saintly. Indeed, I can say, that up to a very mature age, my food was entirely bad—expressed morally, it was "impersonal," "selfless," "altruistic," to the glory of cooks and all other fellow-Christians. It was through the cooking that I earnestly renounced my "Will to Live." To spoil one's stomach.

>> No.17393649

>>17393640
>And, if you add thereto the absolutely bestial post-prandial drinking habits of the ancients, and not alone of the ancient Germans, you will understand where German intellect took its origin—that is to say, in sadly disordered intestines.

German intellect is indigestion; it can assimilate nothing. But even English diet, which in comparison with German, and indeed with French alimentation, seems to me to constitute a "return to Nature,"—that is to say, to cannibalism.

>Alcoholic drinks do not agree with me; a single glass of wine or beer a day is amply sufficient to turn life into a valley of tears.

>Although I admit that this knowledge came to me somewhat late, it already formed part of my experience even as a child. In order to believe that wine was exhilarating, I should have had to be a Christian—in other words, I should have had to believe in what, to my mind, is an absurdity.

>> No.17393657

>>17393649
>Later on, towards the middle of my life, I grew more and more opposed to alcoholic drinks: I, a vegetarian, cannot with sufficient earnestness advise all more spiritual natures to abstain absolutely from alcohol. Water answers the purpose.... I have a predilection in favour of drinking from running brooks. In vino Veritas: it seems that here once more I am at variance with the rest of the world about the concept "Truth".

>Here are a few more indications as to my morality. The first principle of a good digestion is that the stomach should become active. All those interminable meals, which I call interrupted sacrificial feasts, and which are to be had at any table d'hôte, are strongly to be deprecated. Nothing should be eaten between meals, coffee should be given up—coffee makes one gloomy. Tea is beneficial only in the morning. It should be taken in small quantities, but very strong. It may be very harmful, and indispose you for the whole day. Remain seated as little as possible. All prejudices take their origin in the intestines. The real sin against the Holy Spirit. Wine and Christianity the two great vices of the German.

>> No.17394097

In this moment...

>> No.17394286

>this guy unironically considered himself above socrates, plato, jesus and pascal
Cringe

>> No.17394408
File: 325 KB, 480x480, 18157870_786736328155609_1069060305158638480_n.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So Nietzsche was a Dionysian who couldn't stand wine? Many contradictions indeed.

>> No.17394897

>>17393640
>"How precisely must thou feed thyself in order to attain to thy maximum of power

>> No.17394918

>>17393596
Didn't he literally study theology?

>> No.17394935
File: 41 KB, 798x644, large[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17393596
>>17393640
I... I never knew
Maybe he was young when he wrote this?

>> No.17395041

>>17394935
No. This is the culmination. Ecce homo or toti