[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.08 MB, 1200x1893, 1200px-Cosette-sweeping-les-miserables-emile-bayard-1862.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23331575 No.23331575 [Reply] [Original]

How applicable is the romantic philosophy of Victor Hugo in the modern era? Do you think it stands the test of time?

>> No.23332220
File: 13 KB, 228x221, 1684869041696960.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23331575
I would save her and raise her to be my daughterwife

>> No.23332281

I legit don't care about poor people, if you steal bread to eat yes you are a thief, I have a right to shoot you, and the police have every right to put you in a jail where you get free food paid by *my* tax money.

My car has been broken into 4 times in the past 12 months, I no longer give a shit about excuses, and philosophically speaking I'm ready to just start doing russia and using slavic methods to deal with such dogs. I think there's a lot we can learn from how eastern bloc countries manage poverty with beatings, which is an effective deterrent against future crime.

>> No.23332304

>>23332281
If you actually read the book “Monsieur Madeline” actually agrees with your point which is why he became mayor so that he could set about raising up the poor and the living standards of the people in Montreuil sur Mer so that crime would cease.

>> No.23332542

>>23332304
Jean Valjean trough the whole story (with support from the author) feels his punishment was disproportionally harsh for a crime he committed essentially with no other choice.

>> No.23332555

>>23332542
He thinks the punishment is disproportionate but he recognizes the error or his ways which is why immediately after robbing that gypsy kid what does he do? He immediately searches for him to give back the money he stole and also vows to never commit crime again. Actually read the book before commenting, please.

The theft from the gypsy child is an important character defining action they omit from most of the movie versions.

>> No.23332558

>>23332555
>Actually read the book before commenting, please.

I have. He doesn't think that what he did was right, but he does feel life was unfair to him. Even later in the book when Cossette starts falling in love with Marius he recalls his life and feels like he deserves his happiness because he has acted in a virtuous way despite how unkind everyone has been to him.

>> No.23332564

>>23332558
He “earned” it by turning over a new leaf and renouncing the life of crime and evil he used to partake in. The section with the Bishop and his candles and the robbing of the gypsy kid is very clear on how his personality changed during that encounter. He deserves his happiness by overcoming the crimes he did and trying to make the community better. Valjean is a different character pre-bishop entirely. The fact you aren’t picking up on this is because you’re a blockhead. He isn’t saying robbery is cool.

>> No.23332569

>>23332558
Valjean was willing to face the prison galley again for Champmathieu’s sake. Owning up to his identity is tantamount to admitting his own crimes. The only reason he didn’t go back to jail was for Fantine/ Cosette’s sake as well as the sake of the hundreds he had employed in his factory. You have to be entirely delusional to be arguing your position.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nXhofhspBd4&pp=ygUXd2hvIGFtIGkgbGVzIG1pc2VyYWJsZXM%3D

>> No.23332574

>>23332564
>>23332569
How are you in a literature board and missing me explicitly agreeing that he doesn't think robbery is cool.

>>23332558
>He doesn't think that what he did was right

>> No.23332582

>>23332574
>I legit don't care about poor people, if you steal bread to eat yes you are a thief, I have a right to shoot you, and the police have every right to put you in a jail where you get free food paid by *my* tax money.

The book is about a man attempting to repay society for stealing from someone so your first post is a non-sequitur. Life WAS unfair to him but his former personality and his theft from the bishop, all of that life he led, he left behind. Valjean left the life of thievery behind to become an honest man. Nowhere does it say stealing is cool.

>> No.23332597

>>23332582
>Nowhere does it say stealing is cool.

Why are you still insisting that this is my point after I EXPLICITLY said it isn't?

>The book is about a man attempting to repay society for stealing from someone so your first post is a non-sequitur.

And what does the story tell us about this man? Why does he want to repay his crime? Because he was shown kindness and brotherhood by Bienvenu and treated like a human, he was shown the path of God this way.

Right off the galleys Jean Valjean was ready to become even more wretched and evil. Being treated so harshly after what he felt was a minor evil made him bitter.

>if you steal bread to eat yes you are a thief, I have a right to shoot you

This is the sort of mentality the characters who weren't bienvenu had and that drove Valjean further into crime and evil.

>> No.23332607

>>23332597
>This is the sort of mentality the characters who weren't bienvenu had and that drove Valjean further into crime and evil.

Dude, I was quoting the very first post you made itt that started this whole discussion. You are incredibly confused and don’t even know your own point! Reread >>23332281

>> No.23332614

>>23332281
>I have a right to shoot a petty thief
>I'm ready to just start doing russia and using slavic methods to deal with such dogs. I think there's a lot we can learn from how eastern bloc countries manage poverty with beatings

>>23332607
You replied to that post saying that Valjean would agree with it, I don't think Valjean would agree with, since while he agrees that what he did was wrong, he also thinks his punishment wasn't proportional to the crime. And that post is advocating for similar treatment than what Valjean was given

>> No.23333341

>>23332614
Okay, I went a little in saying he would agree with the whole thing. I meant more that he would agree that thieves need justice but rather the prison should be focused on rehabilitation and not just blind death. Valjean wouldn’t want criminals going free. It isn’t either or. I think Valjean would actually agree with people like that poster on some points.