[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 631 KB, 800x566, Large Franchise example.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2830092 No.2830092[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

ITT: we list books that we own that nobody else seems to own or know about

I'll go first:
The King in Yellow, by Robert Chambers
The Gods of Pegana, by Dunsany
The Trial of God, by Elie Wiesel
Heart, by Edmondo de Amici

>> No.2830102

let me thaynk...hrm
The main one is
>Robot Dreams by Asimov
Everyone knows Asimov but so few try his short story collections which are his best works IMO.
captcha: lonepen
aww yea, we writin' tonight baby

>> No.2830107

>>2830092
I've only read part of The King in Yellow, but as far as I can tell Chambers is better than Lovecraft.

>> No.2830127

>>2830102
I might have read that anthology back in middle school - I think. What stories does it have? (unrelated: my favorite Asimov story was the one about the computer that trascends this existance, and feeling lonely once humanity and the Universe are gone, decides to re-create everything: "And AC said: "Let there be light!"

>>2830107
I agree: Chambers is better (though I love Lovecraft). Even the stories that are not supernatural (his romantic pieces) have a great setting and atmosphere

>dat bohemian late 1900's Paris

Come on, post your rare books here, /lit/

>> No.2830185
File: 10 KB, 205x300, the_High_Life.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Solitude, Vanity, Night: An Anthology of Czech Decadent Poetry
The Dedalus Book of Finnish Fantasy (or any of the Dedalus fantasy books)
Estonian Short Stories (from the Writings from an Unbound Europe series)
Tutelary Tales by Villy Sorensen
The Modern Fable by Junzaburo Nishiwaki
The House Spirit and Other Stories by Kanoko Okamoto
1001 Great Stories: Volumes 1 & 2 (from Green Integer)
Angel Riding a Beast by Liliana Ursu
The Complete Works of Urmuz
The Chieko Poems by Kotaro Takamura
The High Life by Jean-Pierre Martinet
My Tired Father by Gellu Naum
The House of Illnesses by Unica Zurn
One Thousand and One-Second Stories by Inagaki Taruho
Metrophilias by Brendan Connell
River of Stars: Selected Poems by Akiko Yosano

Well, there's some. I haven't read them all, though the ones I haven't read I do still own.

>> No.2830192

Selected Poems - Marina Tsvetaeva
Decision Points - George W. Bush
Captains and the Kings - Taylor Caldwell
I guess that's it.

>> No.2830479

>>2830092
The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. Le guin
The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck
The House of Bernarda Alba, by Frederico Garcia Lorca

>> No.2830486

I never hear Aeschylus or Sophocles talked about on here. I've occasionally seen Euripides mentioned

>> No.2830498

>>2830479
What?
The House of Bernarda Alba is NOT a rare book. Also, I don't know about the Good Earth, but, I own it (it's a great book).

And I've always wanted to read the Lathe of Heaven.

It's only the House of Bernarda Alba that you are mistaken in. It's a great book (play) but so many people know about it and own it.

>> No.2830656

Prisoner of Zenda

>> No.2830739

>Natural Novel by Georgi Gospodinov
>Bai Ganyo by Aleko Konstantinov
>God in New York by Ilko Dimitrov Dimitrov
>Under the Yoke by Ivan Ivanov
>The Penguin World Omnibus of Science Fiction
>Wild Tales by Nikolai Haitov
>The Forest Traveler by Georgi Stoikov Rakovski

>> No.2830744

I own a 1980s how-to book on computers by Frank Herbert, author of the Dune series

2obscure4u

>> No.2831419

'The Last Temptation of Christ' and 'Zorba the Greek', by Nikos Kazantzakis.
'Winter's Tale' by Mark Helprin

>>2830486
not to mention, Aristophanes. to me, that reveals so much about Athenian culture, and it's rich with the Greeks' own gags about mythology.

>> No.2831421

The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda
Everything and More by David Foster Wallace

>> No.2831423

>>2831419
I just got Zorba the Greek in the mail a couple of days ago. Although nobody around here seems to care about it, I do see it on the "Summer Reading" table and Barnes & Noble every now and again (along with books like A Clockwork Orange, The Old Man and the Sea, The Bell Jar, The Great Gatsby, etc.).

>> No.2831425

>>2831419 - same poster
also, although folks on /lit/ seem to know about it, it is almost never discussed—despite being /lit/'s wet dream of a novel: is difficult to understand, includes child incest (not really a spoiler—it's revealed in the first chapter), and exhibits badass Nabokovian prose. I speak of course of 'Ada or Ardor'.

>> No.2831432

hear us o lord from heaven thy dwelling place, ultramarine and an edition of selected poetry by malcolm lowry
i had to buy all of them second hand because they were out of print and I've never seen those books by him mentioned on here before.

>> No.2831439

>>2831425
>although folks on /lit/ seem to know about it, it is almost never discussed
Yeah, that's a good observation. Hopefully you and I (after I read it, which should be in the new future) can turn the tide a bit.

>> No.2831453
File: 13 KB, 300x293, valleInclan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I honestly doubt /lit/ knows anything (since they're always stuck in English literature, which is perfectly reasonable) about my favourite playwright, Ramón María del Valle-Inclán. He wrote some prose too. ''Bohemian Lights'' and ''Divine Words'' are his highlights.

>> No.2831464

>>2831419
I'm fairly certain that The Frogs is the most hilarious ancient work I've ever read.
B.C. rap battles can't go wrong.